If you’re a small- or mid-sized food processor, GFSI compliance isn’t just important. It can literally be critical to your success. Short for the Global Safety Food Initiative, GFSI represents a series of standards that can level the playing field in terms of food-safety assurance, no matter how large or small a food manufacturer may be.
When your goal is to get on the shelves of retailing giants, or even many smaller specialty retailers, proof of compliance is a must. In fact, the bottom line is that many (if not most) top retailers simply won’t buy from suppliers who don’t comply with the leading GFSI schemes. And retailers aren’t the only ones.
Benefits outweigh the costs of GFSI Compliance
But smaller food manufacturers must also keep their own bottom lines in good shape in order to stay in business—and compliance doesn’t come free. When you’re required to track every ingredient of every product from farm to fork with limited financial and operational resources, you don’t have the luxury of wasting a single cent or man hour.
The good news, however, is that the benefits of GFSI compliance far outweigh the costs. Some of the most important benefits include:
- The ability to deliver the safest food possible, mitigating risks to your company
- Establishing a consistent method and management system for food safety
- Third-party inspectors use GFSI schemes, such as SQF and BRC, as the standard to judge food safety
- Meeting GFSI guidelines helps prepare you for compliance with the FDA’s Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)
- And most importantly, you’ll be more competitive than ever before. (Yes, even against the biggest food manufacturers in the world)
Why? Because no matter what specific segment you’re in or how limited your resources may be, GFSI certifications require you to do three things:
- Say what you’re going to do
- Do what you say
- Then prove it!
And once you can assure buyers you do all three of these food safety processes, you’ll overcome countless concerns and objections that make it harder for smaller companies to get through the door—and get their products on the shelves.
Questions about GFSI Compliance? We’re here to Help.
Do you need help understanding your options for GFSI compliance or questions concerning food safety regulation in general? We have industry experts on staff who have been in your shoes and can help provide you with objective guidance and advice. So don’t hesitate to reach out. We’d love to hear your comments and concerns.